Time Capsule

On display in Kendal museum you will find a mysterious glass bottle it was discovered in September 1909 in the foundations of the Old Market Hall which became the Old Public Library, it was being demolished in favour of the new library on Stricklandgate still the library used in Kendal today. The bottle contains an extract from the Westmorland Gazette dating from the 28th July 1855. The Old Market Hall was built upon a site which has been used for market purposes since ancient times. The newspaper article discusses constructing an appropriate building to house the market to protect the vendors from the Lake District’s rainy weather; many local gentlemen came forward to provide the funds for this building.

The foundation stone was laid on Saturday the 21st of July 1855 by the mayor John Whitwell as well as other contributors ‘in the hope that, with the blessing of the Almighty on the fruits of the earth, the building now commenced, when completed, may tend to the advancement of this ancient town, and to the accommodation and prosperity of its inhabitants and of the neighbourhood.’ The bottle also contains several coins from of the rein of Queen Victoria. Why not visit Kendal Museum to see this mysterious piece of local history for yourself.